GOV. SOL F. MATUGAS
Name : SOL FORCADILLA MATUGAS
Place of Birth : General Luna, Surigao del Norte
Date of Birth : October 21, 1944
Name of Spouse : ATTY.FRANCISCO T. MATUGAS
Congressman, 1st District
- Doctor of Education - Centro Escolar University, Manila, 1979
- Master of Arts in Education - National Teachers College, Manila, 1970
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Cum Laude) - University of San Carlos, Cebu City, 1965
- High School (Valedictorian) - Saint Thomas High School, General Luna, Surigao del Norte
- Elementary (Valedictorian) - General Luna Elementary School, General Luna, Surigao del Norte
CIVIL SERVICE ELIGIBILITIES
- Career Executive Service Office (CESO) III
- School Superintendents Test
- Teachers Test
- First Grade (PD 993)
- GOVERNOR - Surigao del Norte (2010- 2013)
PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD - DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
- DIRECTOR IV - Region 8, Palo, Leyte, September 01, 2001 to October 21, 2009
- DIRECTOR IV - DECS, CARAGA Region XIII, Butuan City, July 1995, August 31, 2001
- DIRECTOR III - DECS, CARAGA Region X, Cagayan de Oro City
- Schools Division Superintendent - Division of Cagayan de Oro City
- Schools Division Superintendent - Division of Butuan City
- Asst. Schools Division Superintendent - Division of Siargao, Surigao del Norte
- General Education Supervisor 1 - Division of Surigao City
- Division Supervisor Social Studies - Division of Siargao
- Elementary Grade Teacher - Division of Siargao
- Cooperating Teacher - USC Elementary Department
- President, Association of DepEd Directions (April 29, 2005 to present)
- Semi-Finalist in the 2006 Search for Outstanding Career Executive Officers
- BSP Silver Usa (2008) and Bronze Usa (2005) conferred by the Boy Scouts of the Philippines National Court of Honor
- Chairperson of the Social Development Committee of the Regional Development Council from July 26, 2002 to October
- Director IV (Regional Director) from 1997 to present
- Various citations and awards from different agencies, NGOs and other civic organizations
- Consistent Very Satisfactory Performance in Physical and Financial accomplishment as adjudged by Department of Budget and Management Regional Office 8 for CY 2003 up to the present.
- Outstanding Surigaonon Award, Rotary Club of Metro Surigao
- Woman of Distinction Award, 1989 Soroptimist International of Cagayan de Oro City.
- Outstanding Alumnus in the field of education awarded by San Carlos University Alumni Association.
- National Awardee on Educational Management Information System
- Topnotcher, Teachers’ Competitive Test (Provine of Surigao Norte and Surigao Sur) 1966
- Initiated benchmarking of best practices in making every child a reader (Project CRÈME)
- Project CREST (Course in Reading and Speech for Teachers). Conceptualized the 6 module in Speech and School Reading Program to retool Grades I-II teachers and first and second year secondary teachers who are non-majors in English in order to improve their communicative abilities and enhance strategies for effective teaching. This course is in coordination with the Leyte. Normal University and is accredited for 6 units of masteral subject. This project is funded by PLAN International and LGUs.
- Project SHAPE (School Head Advancement for Professional Excellence) was conceptualized to retool school heads on instructional, managerial and leadership skills in order to address the need for the department on the transformation of schools to make education relevant to the needs of society. This is also accredited at LNU for 6 masteral units.
- Project APEX (Applied Academic Excellence) was implemented to address the human recourse requirements of agriculture, business and industry sector by ensuring continuous supply of academically and technically prepared workforce 10 years after project implementation. All teachers in the pilot schools are trained and are regularly monitored by SEAMEO INNOTECH, with feedback mechanism to ensure quality management and learning outcomes.
- Intensive Care Supervision in Low Performing Schools was conceptualized to upgrade the competencies of non-majors in English and improved their teaching not only in English, but also in Science and Math. She encouraged the teachers to do “extra mile” work to solve the perennial problem of poor performance in English, Science and Math. Relative to this, Region VIII has topped the National Achievement Test.
- Establishment of the Child Minding Center to provide support service to regional office employees and its neighboring government agencies by providing their children ages 2 to 5 years old a variety of developmental activities.
- Conduct of Spiritual Enhancement Program Facilitated by a competent/ experienced Retreat Master every year.
- Initiated the “Teachers First: Honors Program for Quality Teaching” in partnership with LGUs, NGOs, SUCs and other stakeholders to encourage public secondary schools’ valedictorians to enroll in the teaching courses with specialization in English, Mathematics, Science and Technology.
- Newly hired teachers are offered the Special Salary Loan of Five Thousand Pesos (Provident Fund).
- In order to eradicate/ lessen illiteracy in Region VIII, the Armed Forces of the Philippines was mobilized, thus increasing literacy from 83.05 to 88.99%.
- On Physical Facilities Development Projects: converted the DepEd garage into the Regional Information & Communication Center (RICTC) and ALS Center; put up a Veggie Park, a food for every child project; refurbished/rehabilitated the Regional Teachers Training Center and Dormitory and its facilities; construction of an Executive House near the RTTC and Dorm; extended the PSU building; put up a perimeter fence to enclose the DepEd Regional office; provided one unit building each for the health and Nutrition, regional Planning unit and the Child Minding Center; provided office for the assistant Regional Director ; renovated offices of the Budget Finance, Cashier, Office of the Regional Director, Administrative division; landscape/ beautiful the lawns/ pathways of the complex and modernized all comport rooms.
- Successfully inspired the parents (Parent Teacher Community Associations) to actively support in the Brigada Eskwela Program through the Bayanihan Concept. The region garnered four major awards in 2004 such as the Highest Percentage of Participating Schools for both Elementary and Secondary and the Most Number of Participating Schools also for both levels.
- Conceptualized and implemented Project HEART (Health for Active and Responsive Teachers) by providing them regular and special health, medical and dental care and also maintenance of supplementary vitamins thus minimizing their absences and raising the learning outcomes of low performing schools.
- Conceptualized “Project Guinsaugon: Tabang kabataan” and provided 103 student- survivors with scholarship grants, financial assistance, educational insurance, health care and proper nutrition. The Municipality of St. Bernard, Southern Leyte through the Municipal Mayor has commended Director Matugas for this great humanitarian project.
- Led the Donation Campaign for cash and used clothing for the landslide victims in San Ricardo, Pintuyan and Liloan, all of Southern Leyte on December 19,2003 where thirty (30) schoolchildren died.
- Organized the Regional Science High School in DepEd CARAGA Region.
III. MEMBERSHIP IN ASSOCIATION/ORGANIZATION
- President, Association of DepEd Directors, April 29.2005 to present
- Member, Congressional Spouses Foundation, Inc.
- Vice-Chairman, National Executive Committee,2009 Palarong Pambansa
- Chairperson, Social Development Committee of the Regional Development Council, Region 8 (SDC-RDC), June 2002-2004
- Member, Region Eight Administrators League (REAL)
- Member, Regional Development Council Region 8,2002 to present
- Member, Regional Literacy Implementing Council (RELIC)
- Member, Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC)
- Treasurer, Board of Trustees of the Regional Drug Rehabilitation Center (Flagship Project of (RDC) 2003-2005
- Chairman,National Youth Commission, Region 8 Council.2005-2006
- Adviser,Regional Federation Of Parent Teacher Community Association
- President, SURWISE (Surigao Women’s Initiative for Small Enterprise)
- Chairman, Provincial Tourism Council, Surigao del Norte, 1992-2001
- Regional Representative for Mindanao, UNESCO Fellows Alumni Association of the Philippines
- Past President, Philippines Association of Schools Superintendent (PASS) Region X
- Past Executive Secretary, National Philippine Association of School Superintendents (NPASS)
- Past Vice-President, Girl Scout of the Philippines, Cagayan de Oro, Misamis Oriental Council
- Past Vice-Chairman, Northern Mindanao Regional Athletic Association (NAMRAA),Region X
- Past Director, United Way, Cagayan, Misamis Oriental Council
- Past President, Parent Teachers Council (2 terms), San Nicolas College, Surigao City
- Past President, Kiwanette Club, Surigao City, 1979-1980
- Member, PPSTA
IV. TIRELESS CIVIC LEADER & NGO WORKER
- Conferred a Certificate of Commendation by the Department of Interior and Local Goevernment, Municipality of St. Bernard, Province of Southern Leyte for her genuine leadership to conceptualize “Project Guinsaugon: Tabang Kabataan” to address the immediate and long term needs of the 103 student survivors who were victims of mudslide on the fateful day of February 17,2006 at the Brgy. Guinsaugon, St.Bernard, Southern Leyte.
- Founder or the Oro Teachers and Employees Credit Cooperative, Inc. (OROTECCI)
- Was instrumental towards the realization of the mission and vision of the Regional Development Council (RDC) flagship project - Regional Drug Rehabilitation Center of Eastern Visayas, located at Brgy. Highway, Dulag Leyte.
- Led the donation Box Campaign for cash and used clothing for the landslide victims in San Ricardo,Pintuyan and Liloan, Southern Leyte on December 19,2003 were thirty (30) schoolchildren died.
V. TRAVEL / TRAININGS ABROAD
- Study Tour on Madrasah; Indonesia and Brunei; February 9-14, 2009
- SEAMEO_INNITECH Benchmarking Program for Education Officials of DepEd Region 8; Vietnam and Thailand; December 2-8,2007
- Observation Tour to Beijing, China; May 11-17, 2006
- Study Visit on school Based management; Australia, November 23 to December 3, 2005
- Seminar on Growth Strategies for Education in Asia; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; September 19-21,2005
- APEX study Mission; Victoria, Canada (Camosun College); October 9-16, 2005
- Study Tour on School Based Management; Malaysia and Thailand; March 12-16, 2005
- Health Network (Meeting of PLAN Asia); Bangkok, Thailand; March 12-16, 2005
- Study and Observation Tour to APEX School; Nashville, Tennessee, USA; October 1-15,2003
- 8th UNESCO Asia-pacific Programmed Education for Development; Bangkok, Thailand; July 20-26,2001
- Annual Learning Styles Seminar; New York, U.S.A; July 20-26,2000
- 14th international Agricultural Exhibition AGRITECH ’99; Haifa, Israel; September 5-9,1999
- World Forum on Early Childhood Education; Honolulu, Hawaii; august 6-10, 1999
- 4th UNESCO-ACEID International Conference; Bangkok, Thailand; November 10-13, 1998
- Study Tour for DECS School Manager; Brisbane, Australia; October 23-November 8, 1997
- Conference on Students Exchange program; The Netherlands; July 26-30,1997
- International Seminar on Equality of Education Opportunity in Market Driven Economics; Shanghai, China; September 10-12,1997
- Workshop on Pedagogical Strategies of Improving Primary Education; Armenia, Colombia; November 1-10,1996
- Study tour on Sports; Japan
- Course on Early Childhood Education Emphasizing Family Life and the Community; Haifa, Israel; October 22- to December 17,1990
- Adult Leader of the Philippine Contingent to International Olympic Youth Camp; Seoul, south korea; September 15 to October 2, 1988
- Workshop for Field Officers/Trainers to Improve the Effectiveness of NFE Programs for Rural Development; Bogor, Indonesia; October 16-18, 1983
V. IN-SERVICE TRAININGS/SEMINARS/CONFERENCES
- 11TH SEAMEO INNOTECH International conference on Transitions for Youth Success: Creating Pathways for Work and Life; November 25-27, 2008
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People; November 12-14, 2008
- Training Seminar on building Fluency through Reader’s Theater; April 24,2008
- 2008 SEAMEO-IINOTECH Research Forum; March 28,2008
- Training Workshop on Engaged Shared Leadership at all Levels; July 2-7,2007
- 10th SEAMEO_INNOTECH International Conference on Learning for Life; Creating Endless Possibilities in Secondary Education; November 15-17,2006
- Strategy Mapping Workshop on Decentralized Management Program; March 7-8,2007
- National Conference of Schools Superintendents; January 17-19,2007
- Mentoring the Mentor’s Trainors Training; February 16-18,2005;
- 1st Philippine Multiple Intelligence Convention; February 11-12,2005; Conducted by the Multiple Intelligence School Foundation
- Workshop on Preparing for Reform in support of Decentralized Management; December 15-18,2004
- 9th SEAMEO-INNOTECH Conference on Best Practices; December 8-10, 2004
- 2004 PASS National Convention; November 16-18,2004
- 20th world Congress on Reading; July 26-29,2004 sponsored by the International Reading Association
- SEAMEO-INNOTECH International Conference on Reaching Out to Learning Communities: The Challenges to Educational Innovation and Technology; December 9-11,2002
- National Conference of Schools Superintendents; November 6-8,2002
- Training Program on the 2002 Basic Education Curriculum Reforms and Its Implementation; March 6-8, 2002
- Strategic Planning Workshop for DepEd Region 8; February 25- March 1, 2002; Conducted by SEAMEO-INNOTECH
- Senior Manager Training Program 2000 (Letter of Recognition dated March 6, 2000 from Secretary Andrew Gonzales for Superior Performance)
- Asia- Pacific School Training Forum; February 18-20,1997
- National Conference-Workshop for Drug Abuse Prevention and control; November 28029,2996, sponsored by DILG & NAPOLCOM
- National Consultative Workshop for the Preparation of the Secondary Education Development Project; October 25-26, 1996
- National Consultative Workshop for the Preparation of Project Implementation Document (PID); June 24-25,1996
- Salamin ng Paglilingkod, CESO; February 11-17 in Batangas
- Literary Congress; September 7-9, 1995
- National Seminar on Basic Education; 1994 in Cagayan de Oro City
- SEAMEO-INNOTECH on Educational Technology; February 23-25,1994
- National Conference on I.T. Application in Education; December 26-27,1993
- Workshop on Training of Women Managers in Government and NOT-for-Profit Organizations; AIM; July 27,1990
- Books in schools ’90 Seminar; May 28-30, 1990
- Delegate the international Conference on Education and Development; November 16-18, 1998 sponsored by INNOTECH and the university of South Carolina and the South Illinois University
- Multi-Sectoral Consultative Conference on Education at AIM
- School Executive Development Program for Superintendents
- Junior Executive Training program
- PASS Conferences GSIS Reorientation for Assistant Superintendents
- International Reading Congress
- EDPITAF leadership Training
- 10th Training Program for Supervisory Teams
- Regional Leadership Seminar-Workshop on Taxation Education
- National work Conference on Social Studies
- Pambansang Seminar sa Araling Panlipunan
- Seminar on the Process and Discovery Approach in Science
- Seminar on the Continous Progression Scheme
VIII. Awards/ Citations from DepEd and other Line Agencies
- Young minds Academy Summer Edition ( Region 8) awards this certificate of Appreciation in grateful recognition for the support and efforts made for the attainment of goals of YMASE on May 18,2009
- DepEd MIMAROPA, DepEd CALABARZON and DepEd Region XI on May 3, 2009 each awards this Certificate of Appreciation for the warm reception, invaluable service and sustained support rendered to the delegations during the Palarong Pambansa
- The province of Leyte thru Governor Jericho Petilla awards this Certificate of Recognition as Chairperson of the Dance sport Competition during the 2009 Palarong Pambansa
- The Association for Appreciative Inquiry on December 5,2008 awards this Plaque of Recognition as Speaker on the topic “ Climbing the Apex in leyte: A story of Hope in Public Education.”
- THE PROVINCE OF Leyte thru the Leyte Provincial Tourism Culture and Arts Council, Office of VP-PAGCOR in coordination with the Department of Tourism Region 8 and the Pintados Foundation on June 27, 2008 awards this Certificate of Recognition for contributing to the success of the 13th Leyte Kasadyaan Festival of Festivals held during the Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival 2008
- Southern Leyte Divisions awards on April 29, 2008 this plaque of Recognation
- SEAMEO-INNOTECH on March 18, 2008 awards this plaque of Recognition for her steadfast leadership in advancing Project APEX in the different pilot schools in Region 8
- The Regional Cooperative Development Council of Region 8 (RCDC8) on December 6, 2007 awards this Certificate of Appreciation in grateful recognition of the significant support as Host of the 2007 RCDC 8 General Membership Meeting
- DepEd Central Office on November 20, 2007 awards this certificate of Appreciation for hosting the Consultation Meeting on the proposed Amendments to RA 4670 (Magna Carta for Public School Teachers)
- On November 7, 2007, the Philippine Postal Corporation awards this Certificate of Appreciation for entrusting their Philhealth Premium Contributions thru Philpost for Year 2006
- Regional Development Council of Eastern Visayas presents this Certificate of Appreciation for her steadfast commitment to the social development of Region 8 by unselfishly serving as TREASURER of the RCDC Board of Trustees
- The Philippine Science High School (PSHS) awards this certificate of Recognition for her dedication, commitment and outstanding contribution for the maximum development of leadership capabilities of the Advisers of the Supreme Student Government
- Southern Leyte Division awards the Excellent Service Award on February 14, 2007 for her untiring effort and invaluable support extended in making the Division as 1st Placer in the 2006 National Achievement Test (NAT) among the 186 divisions in the country
- On December 26,2006, the Province of Southern Leyte awards this Plaque of recognition for her leadership in making DepEd RO 8 Number One nation wide in achieving a consistent OUTSTANDING Academic Performance in the 2005-2006 NAT in the 1st and 4th Year Levels and Grade VI
- Eastern Visayas University (EVSU awards the Plaque of Recognition for the invaluable support extended to the Teacher Education Program of the University during SY 2006-2007
- DepEd OPS and the Physical Facilities Schools Engineering Division awards this Certificate of Appreciation as Guest Speaker during the Seminar Workshop for Cy 2006 Principal-Led SBP (2nd Batch)
- The DepEd-HNC awards this Plaque of Appreciation as Resource Speaker during the National School Health and Nutrition Congress held on October 3-5, 2006
- On September 13, 2006, the Civil Service Commission Regional Office 8 awards this Plaque of Recognition for having been selected as Semi-finalist in the Search for the 2006 OUTSTANDING Career Executive Officer
- DepEd Southern Leyte and PLAN Philippines awards this Certificate of Appreciation for her invaluable support to the Converging Initiatives Towards Child-Friendly Schools in Southern Leyte
- Province of Eastern Samar thru the Office of the Governor presents this Certificate of Appreciation for her unwavering dedication and commitment to achieve the objectives of the department in the delivery of quality education for improved quality life of the public it serves. Given on March 21, 2006
- The City of Maasin awards this Certificate of Recognition and Appreciation for her active role and outstanding management of the 2005 EVRAA
- Eastern Visayas State University (EVSU) awards this Certificate of Merit and Recognition to her full support to the Teacher Education Program of the University in the Clinical Training of Cadet Teachers throughout Region 8 Given on March 16, 2005
- Division of Leyte Awards Plaque of Recognition as Speaker during the School-Based Management (SBM) Fair on November 25-26, 2004 Appreciation for invaluable support rendered to the Army Literacy Patrol System (ALPS) Program Given on October 5, 2004
- The Philippine Society of Youth Science clubs, Eastern Visayas Chapter awards this Certificate of Appreciation for her invaluable support/financial assistance during the 2003 Regional Youth Science Clubs, Technology and Environment Camp on September 28, 2008
- Northern Samar Division awards this Certificate of Appreciation for sharing her precious time with the teachers, administrators and employees during her visit to the division on September 11-12, 2003
- On August 8, 2003 The San Jose Central School, Tacloban City awards this Certificate of Appreciation for her distinguished and meritorious service in facilitating the release of funds for the construction of the 1 story 5 classrooms SEMP-Principal Led School building.
- The DepEd Regional Office 8 awards this certificate of Appreciation in recognition of her leadership and management and active involvement in the implementation of highly successful programs and projects. Given on August 6, 2003
- On October 25, 2002, the Nena School of Arts and Trades, San Julian, Eastern Samar awards this Certificate of Appreciation for her wholehearted assistance/unselfish support in the realization of the separation of Nena School of craftsmanship and Home industries from Alugan-Nena School of Crafts and Home Industries.
- Plaque of Recognition is awarded by the DepEd-TEEP on June 8, 2002 for her purposive and focused in orchestrating programs and projects in the region thereby inspiring zeal and commitment among key implementers and stakeholders which made possible the efficient and effective implementation of TEEP in the region Awarded on June 8, 2002
- Nueva Esperanza Elementary School, Municipality of St. Bernard, Southern Leyte awards this Certificate of Recognition as Guest Speaker during the SY 2001-2002 graduation exercises held on April 4, 2002.
- The Philippine Elementary School Principals Association (PESPA) awards, this Certificate of Appreciation of the successful conduct of the 14th Executive Development Program and Second Semestral National Board Conference Awarded on February 22, 2002.